Shelter – a web documentary draft flowchart
At the early stage of research for this web documentary on homelessness I have 4 or maybe 5 areas of homelessness that I want to explore through interviews. These are people whose accomodation is insecure and or unsafe and can include people sleeping in the following spaces:
- rough sleeping on the streets
- rooming houses or caravan parks
- couch surfing
- supported accommodation
There are also people who have been homeless and now have secure and safe accommodation as well as support workers. I was initially thinking of a structure that allowed a user to choose a category to explore along the lines of Giving Time by Julia Scott-Stevenson. Initially I liked the idea of the user being able to choose from a categorgy, in this case different types of volunteers. However I am beginning to think that in the area of homelessness I don’t want to label or box people into categories as the space between all the housing options and how and why people are there are very fluid.
So I am thinking now that the structure of this web documentary will definitely be modular and I would like users to be able to enter and leave at any point, making this a rhizome type structure.
I feel there is a range of potential scenarios that could be explored including:
- couch surfing to rough sleeping seeking safe shelter
- couch surfing to rooming house/caravan part seeking safe shelter
- couch surfing to rooming house to rough sleeping seeking safe shelter
- rooming house/caravan park to rough sleeping seeking safe shelter
- rooming house/caravan park to supported accommodation seeking safe shelter
- rough sleeping to supported accommodation seeking safe shelter
- rough sleeping to rooming house/caravan park seeking safe shelter
- supported accommodation seeking safe housing
- now in safe housing with a range of experiences of the above
At this stage I am considering a structure that connects the range of interviews we might collect covering these potential scenarios and that these interviews would be linked or tagged to allow viewers to follow a particular journey or experience. The aim would be to expose viewers to the range of potential experiences that encompass being homeless.
I have created a draft flowchart to reflect the potential connection between stories and the journeys that could be experienced through the web documentary.